Close Search Button
How do I write my exams?

Supervised exams are scheduled at an exam location close to you. Upon registration, you are asked to provide the city that is closest to you and the exam will be set up there on the scheduled exam date.

When do courses run?

Fall: September - December (Final exam in December)

Winter: January - April (Final exam in April)

Summer: May - July (Final exam in July)

What will I learn about other than Mining?

Beyond the technical program designed to give students practical experience using state-of-the-art technologies, classes in technical writing and communication, business law and ethics, mine supervision and project management, and engineering economics will prepare students to advance to management roles within their company. Furthermore, by studying the safety, environmental, and sustainability issues facing the industry, students are given the tools to ensure companies operate ethically, responsibly, and sustainably.


How long will it take me to complete the BTech degree?

The program is designed to be completed in two years at a full-time pace. The majority of our students progress on a part-time pace, which can typically take 4-6 years, depending on the number of courses taken each semester.

Can I apply to become a Professional Engineer with a BTech degree?

The BTech program is unaccredited.  We have had initial conversations with members of the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO), and are currently discussing their issues around online education. At this time, there is no defined Pathway to Licensure for graduates of the BTech program, but we continue  to work towards that goal, and are exploring other options at the same time.  Current and Prospective students whose primary objective is to obtain their professional license are encouraged to reach out to the Program Academic Advisor for more information.    

Can I go on to graduate school with a BTech degree?

Yes: a BTech degree will allow you to continue on to graduate studies with any of a Masters of Science in Engineering (MASc), Masters of Engineering (M.Eng), Masters of Business Administration (MBA), or eventually a Doctorate degree (PhD).


What will the degree be called on my diploma?

On completion you will graduate and receive your Bachelor’s degree from Queen’s University. The name of the program on your degree will be: “Bachelor of Mining Engineering Technology” from Queen’s University Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science.


What is the BTech Program?

The BTech Program is a Bachelor of Mining Engineering Technology Degree delivered by Queen’s University in partnership with Northern College. It is a diploma to degree pathway for both College Engineering Technology program graduates and University Science students. It is fully online and incorporates two field schools in the last two years of the program. A customized bridging curriculum taken at the start of the program focuses on the core math and science skills, and is specifically designed to ensure college graduates can succeed at a university level.

What is the difference between a BTech degree and a BASc degree at Queen’s University?

The Bachelor of Applied Science (BASc) degree at Queen’s is a four-year program designed for high school graduates. Studies cover a broad range of engineering science, and courses are taken on campus at a full-time pace. The BASc degree is accredited.


The Bachelor of Engineering Technology (BTech) degree is a diploma to degree program that gives block transfer credits for the first two years of the degree to college engineering technology graduates. Studies focus on the practical application of modern engineering tools and technologies, with courses in Year 3 and 4 being taken online at either a part-time or full-time pace. The program also includes a two-week field school at the end of Year 3 and Year 4. The BTech degree is unaccredited.

Have Questions? Contact Us Today

Let us do the work for you - we’ll send you everything you need to know and answer any questions you have about the BTech program.

Leave your contact information, or Call 613-533-6000 ext 77135